09 September 2010

Product review: DZ Nuts

I love reviewing a product that makes grown men snicker like they are in grade school because of its name.

When I first got back into cycling several years ago, I was convinced that I didn't need to use chamois cream.  I didn't want to think about applying something the consistency of Vaseline "down there" it seemed like  it would be more uncomfortable than beneficial. 

Well, just like I cringe now when I have to wear anything other than bib shorts on my rides, I wouldn't think of going on a long ride without using chamois cream. 

I've tried several brands of chamois cream with varying degrees of success.  Most of them only provide a slippery surface between you and your chamois to prevent chafing and irritation. 

DZ Nuts is different. 

DZ Nuts was designed for Pro Cyclist Dave Zabriskie "by a pharmaceutical scientist to reduce and relieve chafing, irritation, and protect fragile perineal skin from bacterial and fungal infections."

DZ on the podium at the 2009 Tour of Utah wearing his DZ Nuts kit

There are a few things I like about DZ Nuts:

  • It's made locally (in Utah)

  • organic - when possible

  • natural as possible

  • no animal products

  • created by one of my favorite pro cyclists

  • it tingles when you apply it

  • it just works!
The last two are probably the most important.  The first time you apply it,  you'll notice that there is a slight tingling sensation coming from down there.  DO NOT BE ALARMED!  This is normal.  It is not an unplesant burning sensation - but more of a comfortable calm tingling.  Just enjoy it.  The tingling comes from the key ingredients:
Tea Tree Oil - powerful anti-bacterial and anti-fungal
Evodia - powerful anti-inflammatory and wound healing from traditional Chinese herbal medicine
Masterwort (Peucedanum Ostruthium) - herb found in the Swiss Alps used by ancient Greeks for wound healing and calming properties -- Name means “Supreme Strength”
What that means, as well as making things smooth between you and your shorts to minimize chafing, it also kills any little bacterial beasties that may be growing down there.

Like I said, It just works!  It is hands down the best chamois cream that I have used. 

DZ Nuts comes in both men's and women's (DZ Nuts Bliss) versions.  The main difference is that the women's version doesn't have the tingling sensation. A tube will run you about $20. You can find it in almost every bike shop on the planet, as well as online at http://www.dz-nuts.com/

So, protect your junk! (their tagline, snicker)  Go get some DZ Nuts today!

5 comments:

Kelly Hill said...

That's absolutely DISGUSTING!! And did you really have to mention the tingling? You're a sicko!

Bike Junkie said...

saddle sores are worse. Trust me on that one!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

after using DZ Nuts, I will never ride without it, ever again!

Anonymous said...

And, of course, the women's version is more expensive.