11 January 2012

An Email I Recieved Yesterday

Outdoor Retailer Winter Market is next week.

As I have been going for the past 3 years, my name has made its way onto quite a few PR email lists, and I have been getting a steady stream of requests to meet with their represented companies over the past few weeks. The majority of the invitations were for companies who carried cycling or running products, but every so often, there would be an odd one.

This one really stuck out.

First of all, it’s for a food product. I have reviewed food products, and do occasionally talk about food, but this was for jerky. I don’t scream it from the rooftops, but I have mentioned at least a few times on this blog that I am vegan. Call it a hunch, but I don’t think that I would be terribly interested in reviewing jerky.

Next, I noticed that it is for the 2012 Fancy Food Show in San Francisco! Not sure why I am getting invites to a food show, but whatever.

Then, I read the email, and started laughing. The email was practically dripping with pretentiousness. They use the word “artisanal” not once, but four(4) times in describing what amounts to little bits of dried-out meat. Phrases like “elevated conscience”,  “imbues its products with the reverence for quality” and "jerky renaissance". Seriously? It reminded me of the Best Made Company that Bike Snob makes fun of on his blog.

Since I am the sharing type, I’ve included the email below. I’ve removed mention of the company name, because even though I think it is hilarious, I don’t want to be outright cruel to them.

Hello Kendall,


I am pleased to introduce you to (COMPANY NAME) Jerky, a new artisanal jerky company based in California’s wine country. (COMPANY NAME) Jerky is not the familiar gas station special - this all-natural, artisanal jerky has an elevated conscience. From ingredients to process to packaging, (COMPANY NAME) imbues its products with the reverence for quality. (COMPANY NAME) Jerky will be an exhibitor at the 2012 Fancy Food Show taking place in San Francisco from January 15-17. I would like to arrange a time for you to meet with the founder (Name) during this three-day event. Please let me know if you may be available to swing by their booth for a quick meet and greet and to learn more about the product first-hand. I have included additional information below and attached and hope you may be interested in learning more!


About (COMPANY NAME) Jerky:


A cut above the old, leathery, chemically processed products, (COMPANY NAME) represents a jerky renaissance, providing an all-natural, artisanal snack that is both healthy and flavorful, made using only high-quality ingredients. (COMPANY NAME) seized the opportunity to disrupt a sleepy food category with an elevated product that is all beef and no bull and has premium flavor profiles with healthier attributes than the norm.


With only 1.5 grams of fat per serving, and more than 50% less sodium and cholesterol than other brands, it’s a guilt-free way to feed your need for meat. (COMPANY NAME) is perfect for healthy snacking on-the-go, made with lean cuts of tender knuckle-cut beef, pork tenderloin, and turkey breast, specially seasoned with all-natural, gourmet ingredients. Due to its recipes, meat selection and proprietary cooking process, (COMPANY NAME)’s products are materially lower in salt (50-70%), cholesterol (50-70%) and calories (15-70%) than its major competitors and are 97% fat free. Devoid of any nitrates, hormones and artificial flavors, all-natural (COMPANY NAME) jerky has an elevated conscience.


(COMPANY NAME) is a small-batch producer of artisanal jerky, treating each variety of domestic meat carefully by hand. For the beef (knuckle-cut) and turkey (breast) products, the meat is double marinated and baked to lock in moisture. (COMPANY NAME)’s well-seasoned meats are braised first, utilizing the “low & slow” method to result in its signature moist and tender texture. The pork (tenderloin) is barbequed on an open flame, brined and twice marinated. (COMPANY NAME) doesn’t dry or dehydrate their meats, but rather bakes them, producing a tender, flavorful result that is moist, wholesome and seriously satisfying.


You may have seen quite a bit of activity in this new high-end jerky trend recently, such as this recent USA Today article: (link removed)


Please contact me with your availability, along with any questions or requests you may have.


Thank you!


I should have many, many posts and product reviews coming after the show. Stay tuned!
I did receive a second email invitation to meet with them at the Outdoor Retailer show a couple of hours later – which I politely declined.

No comments: