01 May 2012

30 Days of Biking - My Wrap Up

Print by Adam Truman, click here for information on how to get one yourself.

Well, April is officially over, and I am happy to say that I participated in the 30 Days of Biking during April, and rode my bike every day.

If you're wondering what I'm talking about, 30 Days of Biking is a pledge to bike somewhere for 30 days - around the block, to work, wherever - then share your adventures online with the hashtag #30DaysofBiking.

It started in 2010 as the creation of a couple of friends in Minneapolis, and grew into a social media monster with over 3500 cyclists around the world pledging to ride this past month.
"30 Days of Biking is not elitist. It is not a political statement. We don't want you to worry about whether you have the right bike, or whether your butt looks good in spandex. We just want you out there, pedaling alongside our community, whether virtually or for real. Our goal is not to reject cars so much as promote bikes as a viable alternative to cars. We want you to remember how riding around your neighborhood felt when you were a kid, when a bike was your only transportation and you loved it. We want you to remember the freedom bicycling offers. The happiness, the independence. These things aren't lost to the ages or the past. They're still available, as nearby as your saddle. And, ultimately, they lead to a healthier life."
The majority of my rides were my commute to and from the bus stop. There were also some longer weekend rides and a metric century. There were rides around the neighborhood with my kids, and a very short 0.5 mile ride around the block at 10:30 at night because I had to go out of town for a funeral that day. I rode my cross bike, road bike, fixed gear, and my tall bike. I rode in rain, snow, and some absolutely beautiful weather. A total of 343 miles logged for the month of April.

For me, the main accomplishment achieved by 30 Days of Biking is that it got me on the bike on days where I would normally pass, either because of weather, or because I felt too tired.

It also got me in the habit of riding. Today I instinctively grabbed the bike when it was time to leave, even before I checked the weather forecast (rain all day - still rode).

You don't need to wait till the next 30 Days of Biking, make your own goal. get out there and ride!


No comments: