16 September 2014

Interbike Recap: Pt. 1

"The party's over and the road is long
The party's over and we're moving on
The party's over and the road is long "

This song aptly came on the radio as the wife and I were driving out of Vegas after spending most of the week at Interbike (I spent most of the week at Interbike, my wife spent most of the week visiting friends and family and hanging out by the pool).

Several times at the show - and after, I was asked if I had seen anything that I thought was exciting. With the exception of the Lauf suspension fork that I mentioned on last Tuesday's post, there was nothing that I would consider "innovative" or extraordinary. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy the show. I enjoyed riding and seeing the latest offerings from the exhibitors at the show, and I very much enjoyed catching up with friends that I haven't seen for a while, but the "Ooh, wow!"'s were in short supply.

As I dig through the press releases, catalogs, and product samples that I came home with, reviews will be forthcoming. Until then, here is my Interbike 2014 experience distilled down to several pictures.

If I had to distill Interbike 2014 down to a couple of bullet points, They would have to be e-bikes and fat-tire bikes. E-bikes were everywhere, mountain, road, fat-tire, folding, the list goes on... As far as fat-tire bikes, it seemed that every bike manufacturer was introducing at least one fat-tire model at the show this year.
 
I caught the tail end of a trials exhibition with a road bike. Mad skills this one.


Today's helmet provided by Bern. Their Morrison helmet (I have the Allston) has been updated with a new fit system and better fit.
You may notice that there is some growth on the top of the helmet in the second picture. Well, I borrowed a camera from Sony, and took some footage during one of my rides. (I also borrowed a camera from GoPro during another test ride.) Unfortunately, I have misplaced the micro SD cards. I'll post the videos once they have been located.

Today was all about the test rides. Here we have a Borealis Echo hardtail fat-tire bike. Carbon frame, carbon rims, and a nice ride. I still think that fat-tire bikes are a blast to ride.


 
Since I am mostly covering and reviewing products that relate to commuting by bicycle, I had to take out a couple of folding bikes on the paved trails up at Bootleg Canyon. First one was a Brompton. Of course it attracted its fair share of stares and comments, but the ride was surprisingly stable and quick. It also folds and unfolds quickly and easily into a very compact package.


I had to take a Lauf-equipped bike out for a test ride after seeing it on the first day. The ride did not disappoint. The weight of the fork is only a few grams more than a rigid carbon fork, and you can definitely feel the lack of weight while riding. I also deliberately tried to make the fork bottom out, and couldn't. It would take a serious hit to make the fork use all of its travel.

The other folding bike I took out, Tern.  Also a very stable and quick ride. More on Tern bicycles to come.

A big block of the Aerocore Koroyd material that Smith Optics uses in their road and mountain helmets to provide ventilation and protection.

I'm not much of a mountain biker, but this bike could change my mind: Ellsworth Absolute Truth a great riding full-suspension XC rig.
 
Next up: Part 2: The Show...

No comments: