13 May 2008

Ride Report: Bike to work day - morning commute.

I decided to ride my bike today, to celebrate bike to work day. I drove to my mom's house, and rode downtown to work. I am glad to report that there were no close calls at all this morning. I only saw a few cyclists this morning, not as many as I would have guessed, until I got to Liberty park. There was an organized ride with SLC Mayor Becker, and SL County mayor Corroon from Liberty park, down to the County offices, then back up to City Hall. There were about 30-40 cyclists there to ride with the Mayors (and to get bagels and juice, I am guessing) I listened to the Mayors give their little speeches, and then everyone headed out. They turned right, I went left - since they were going in the opposite direction I needed to go, and I didn't have time to ride with them down to the County offices and back downtown. The weather was great, except for the headwind that I seemed to have for the majority of my trek downtown.

My lovely wife, Kelly, has a weekly post she calls Friday Favorites. Which she posts on - of all days - Friday, and where she lists some of her favorite things. I don't know where she came up with that title, but I think it's brilliant... Anyway, I don't have a Friday - or any other day - Favorite post, but if I did, I would have to put down my Timbuk2 messenger bag. Yes, it is big enough to haul my youngest child around in, and that is why I love it. I found it on Craigslist for a really good price. It was new and unopened. Why I love it is that it is ultra-stable on my back while I am riding. I had it loaded down with my street clothes and my lunch this morning, and it didn't budge an inch while I was riding. plus, a giant olive and neon green ( I think that Timbuk2 calls it chartreuse) bag with a blinky red light attached to it is not hard to miss - which is a good thing,since I was wearing black shorts and a black fleece pullover this morning.

Well, that about does it for the morning commute report. Kind of boring, but I am happy that I don't have anything exciting to report on. I have the evening commute to look forward to tonight. Maybe I will try to snap a few pictures with the camera phone on the way home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, chartreuse would be the correct name of the color. I guess I neglected to tell you that when you were learning colors.

Glad your ride was mostly uneventful. Love you !