24 September 2010

Food Friday: Pro Bar

Anyone who has followed my blog for a while may notice that I like nutrition bars.  I have done reviews on a couple of different bars, and have even posted on how to make your own bar. 

I first discovered Pro Bars at the Tour of Utah, they had them on the tables in the press room.  I took one to eat later, since I didn't have any breakfast that day. 

What I found was an incredibly yummy bar.  Doing a little research, I found that Pro Bars are all natural, organic. vegan, and made right here in Utah (I don't know why, but I am always excited to find products that are produced locally)

I was sent a sampler box by Pro Bar which contained some bars from their Original collection and Sweet and Savory whole food meal replacement bars and their new addition to the Fruition line of superfood snack bars - lemon

I really enjoyed the lemon Fruition bar.  It has a light, citrus flavor. Looking at the ingredient list, I saw that it contained chia seeds.  For those of  you who have read the great book, Born to Run, you are familiar with chia seeds already.  For the rest of you, I give you this picture...

Yes, chia seeds are what you slime on your Chia pet.  But they have some truly awesome nutritional benefits.

Here is some information on chia from the Pro Bar site:
What are chia seeds?


Chia seeds are an ancient, high-energy food indigenous to North, Central and South America. A member of the Salvia family, chia has been used as a superfood by Native Americans for centuries. Nutrient dense, antioxidant rich and loaded with essential fatty acids, chia seeds deliver a wealth of nutrients in a small package.

What are some additional benefits from Chia seeds?

Chia Seeds have the highest known whole-food source of Omega-3 acids, which promote cardiovascular and mental health. Chia seeds also keep the body’s electrolyte balance maintained by retaining moisture, regulating more efficiently, and controlling the absorption of nutrients and body fluids. In addition, chia is also a complete source of protein providing all of the essential amino acids.

The other bars I received were the complete meal replacement bars.  Let me tell you, one of those bars is enough to fill you up.  I also discovered what has to be my favorite flavor of any bar - ever!  Cocoa Pistachio.  Oh. My. Gosh!  It is so good!

For more information, go to http://www.theprobar.com/

No comments: