04 January 2011

Resolutions

Resolutions.

We all make them, and we all have difficulty keeping them. Fitness themed resolutions are always the biggest, every year people resolve to get in shape, loose weight etc... memberships at gyms increase, new equipment is purchased, and goals are made. Unfortunately, within a few months, the crowds at the gym are smaller, the equipment has a fine layer of dust on it, and goals are forgotten.
In the past, I have stated that I will not make any resolutions.  That way, I don't have any liability if I don't accomplish what I wanted to do by the end of the year.  That's the wussy way to do it.  By not giving myself goals to work towards, it is too easy to let things slide. 

This year, I am going to state my resolutions.  In writing.  Here.  I am going to do my best to accomplish them, and if I don't, I will look at the reasons why I failed, and what I can do to not fail again.

This isn't a full list of my resolutions and goals for this year, just what I have so far...
  • Ride more - no set mileage, because I don't want to set myself up for failure right from the start.  It doesn't matter if it is riding in more events, riding by myself, or riding with my kids.  Just get out and ride!
  • Improve my time in the triathlons I race in - Kind of a no-brainer goal, but if I don't state it, there is no motivation to improve.
  • Learn to ride my unicycle - My brother gave me a unicycle almost 4 years ago, and I haven't done anything with it since then.  The Moab Munifest is no longer running, so I don't have that to work towards, but I still want to learn how to ride the blasted thing.
  • Run more - seeing as I am showing more interest in triathlons, and 1/3 of a triathlon consists of running, I probably should work on my running.
  • Post more frequently on this blog - More posts about product reviews, advocacy, people in the industry, or it may mean posting a picture I took that day of  something bicycle-related that caught my attention.  Probably not a post every day, but more frequently than I did last year.
  • Be a better person - this one is going to be the tough one.  Try not to have such a sour outlook on life. Try to be more positive. Try to see the good in things, instead of focusing on the negative. Try to be more optimistic, more compassionate and more tolerant.
There, I have stated some resolutions for the world to see.  I wish you luck in whatever resolutions you set for yourself this year, and I hope 2011 is a prosperous year for you!

3 comments:

Mike Green said...

Nothing wrong with a few resolutions to start the new year. Good luck on them. They look like good ones.

Mom said...

This will help you with your last resolution, if you take it to heart:
ATTITUDE
“The more I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than whatever other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. It will make or break a company … a church … a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past … we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude … I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you … we are in charge of our Attitudes.” (…Charles Swindoll)

Love you, Mom

Kelly Hill said...

I was with you right up until the "be a better person" part. Good luck with that, dear. ;)