07 July 2008

Tour de France - Is that still going on?

Well, the Tour de France started Saturday. I was going to say that I will be following the tour again this year, but not on the TV. The only channel in the USA that carries the TdF is Versus. Unfortunately we don't have that channel in our satellite package. In previous years, I had a friend record each day's stage and bring me the tape to work so I could watch it the next day, and I would follow through blogs, podcasts, and live feeds through sites like bicycling.com and versus.com.
This year, my sweet, sweet wife surprised me by letting me upgrade our satellite subscription for the month of July so I can watch the Tour live! (well, almost since it is usually running while I am at work, but I will catch up on each stage that evening). I am not going to post about the daily stages, and I don't have a favorite in this year's Tour. I can say that it appears that it is going to be anyone's game this year.
If you are looking for daily reviews of each stage, I would direct you to a couple of my favorite blogs, David Bernstein's The FredCast, and Tim Jackson's Masiguy blog.
That being said, here is the standings as of stage 2. I will occasionally post the current standings.

Stage Results
1. Thor Hushovd, NOR, Credit Agricole, 3:45:13
2. Kim Kirchen, LUX, Team Columbia, S.T.
3. Gerald Ciolek, GER, Team Columbia
4. Robbie Hunter, SA, Team Barloworld
5. Erik Zabel, GER, Milram
6. Turi Tofimov, RUS, Bouygues Telecom
7. Oscar Freire, ESP, Rabobank
8. Jimmy Caspar, FRA, Agritubel
9. Martin Elmiger, SUI, AG2R
10. Leonardo Duque, COL, Cofidis

General Classification
1. Alejandro Valverde, ESP, Caisse d’Epargne, 8:21:20
2. Kim Kirchen, LUX, Team Columbia, +0:00:01
3. Oscar Freire, ESP, Rabobank
4. JJ Cobo Acebo, ESP, Saunier Duval
5. Cadel Evans, AUS, Silence - Lotto
6. Jerome Pineau, FRA, Bouygues Telecom
7. David Millar, UK, Garmin Chipotle
8 Riccardo Ricco, ITA Saunier Duval
9. Frank Schleck, LUX, Team CSC
10. Filippo Pozzato, ITA, Liquigas

JERSEY LEADERS:
Yellow Jersey: Alejandro Valverde, ESP, Caisse d’Epargne, 8:21:20
Green Jersey(Sprint): Kim Kirchen, LUX, Team Columbia, 54 pts
White Jersey(Young Rider): Riccardo Ricco, ITA Saunier Duval
Polka Dot(Mountains): Thomas Voeckler, FRA, Bouygues Telecom, 19 pts

No comments: