28 September 2008

Back in the saddle again, and road treasure

Wow, it sure feels good being back on the bike. It seems like it has been a couple of weeks since I have had time to swing a leg over the top tube. Saturday morning, my 10-year-old was going fishing with the scouts, and I had to have him to the church by 7:00. We had nothing else going that morning, so I had free time. Down came the bike, and out I went - at 8:30. It was a late night the night before, and my eyes were barely open when I took him to the church.

Since I have not been able to get on the bike because of time constraints, I have started running the stairs at work from the ground floor to the 8th floor where my desk is. I'll hit every other stair on one flight, and every stair on the next the whole way up, and I have been doing this at least 3 times a day when I come back from breaks and lunch. I noticed on my ride when I hit the few hills on my chosen route, I didn't get as winded, or have to go to as low of a gear as I usually have to. Yay stairs!

I love riding past cornfields

On my way back from my 35 mile ride, I was riding up the shoulder of hwy 73. I looked over in the weeds on the side of the road when I saw this piece of road treasure:

This picture was taken on my kitchen floor. I didn't think of taking a picture of it where I found it.

the disk is in great shape, no scratches!

For those of you who don't know what road treasure is, it is something you find on the side of the road that is in good, usable condition that you decide to take with you. I have heard of people finding tools, knives, sunglasses etc... on the side of the road. Rotten tomatoes gave this movie a bad review (click here to read it), Kelly said that she enjoyed it. Regardless, free movie! It's not too often the I find any road treasure on my rides. I see tons and tons of trash and broken car parts, but rarely anything usable like this. Fall is making it's presence known, and it won't be very long before I am moving into the basement to ride on my trainer while I watch DVDs. I am planning on taking my bike to Idaho this weekend to hopefully get some riding done when I am not at my wife's nephew's wedding, and I will be at the Josie Johnson memorial ride again this year (let's hope it doesn't snow like it did last year. I don't think that I have ever been that cold before!) Hope to see you there.

No comments: