02 December 2008

Warning: cranky post ahead

I hate the weather right now.

Today is supposed to be in the 50's. The rest of the week is forecasted to be in the mid to high 40's.

"So," you are probably wondering to yourself, "What does he have to be cranky about, that sounds like great weather - especially considering it is the first week in December, and there is no snow on the ground in the valley"

I hate the weather right now because it mocks me. It teases me with it's niceness, tempting me to want to ride outside and enjoy the surprisingly mild December temperatures and take advantage of the extended outdoor riding season... Then it backhands me with shortened daylight hours. Laughing at me because I go to work, and come home from work in darkness.

I hate the weather right now.

I started riding the trainer downstairs this week. Nothing about that is surprising or unusual - except that I am trying to stay in shape this winter. This time of year is usually when I usually put down the bike, and pick up the extra pounds. I am hoping to not do that this year. Riding on a trainer is torturous. It is a pale comparison to actual outdoor riding. Most cyclists view it the same way the majority of Americans view exercize - something that should be avoided at all costs.

One of my friends, David, lives in Park City. They have been under a blanket of snow for the past couple of weeks now, and for him this is a moot point. He has been forced down to the basement by the weather - just like I should have been. But instead I have darkness in the morning and evening, and work when it is nice enough to ride.

I hate the weather right now.

1 comment:

Kelly Hill said...

Have you heard of a head light, you big baby??!? Jeesh!

lyk