15 July 2010

Bike commuting update

Just a quick update on my bike commuting.

It's been almost two weeks since I "ditched the car" and started biking and riding the bus to work.

It couldn't be easier! I don't know why I didn't do this sooner. Oh yeah, inflexible work schedue thing.

I do have to leave the house a little earlier than I normally would, so I usually fix my lunch the night before so I don't have to rush in the morning. I have a nice, mostly traffic free ride (shared-use path most of the way) to the bus stop, and then a peaceful bus ride downtown.


The trip back is almost a repeat of the trip in.

In case there was any doubt. Yes, I do live in the boonies

Seriously, I don't know why more people don't do this! One tip, leave a pair of shoes at your office.  That way you don't have to carry the extra weight, and you aren't clomping around in your cycling shoes (this only applies if you have clipless pedals - like my bike does)

On a somewhat related note, the state of Utah is running their "Clear the Air Challenge" during the month of July. You register and log the individual car-trips you saved daily by choosing an alternate method of transportation - such as biking, carpooling, mass transit, or telecommuting. You can see how much co2 you prevented from being dumped in the atmosphere by making alternate traveling decisions, and you also have a chance of winning prizes. Go to http://www.cleartheairchallenge.org/ to register and find more information.

No comments: