30 August 2010

Product review - Yurbuds

Now that the Tour of Utah, and my posting of photos from the Tour is done, I can get back to product reviews of items that I found at the Outdoor Retailer show.

One of the booths I found tucked away in a back corner of the show was the Yurbuds booth.  What Yurbuds offer are earbuds to use with your iPod or mp3 player.  What makes them different is that they guarantee that they will not fall out.

video from the Yurbuds YouTube channel

The way they do this is by the shape of their earbuds.  They are huge!  When I first saw them, my first thought was "you expect that to go in my ear?!" They shape is unique, and they look like they will be bulky and uncomfortable, but that couldn't be farther from the truth.  They are ergonomically designed to not contact any pressure points in your ear, and come in 6 different sizes to fit a large range of ear sizes.

photo from the Yurbuds website

I was given a pair of Yurbuds to try out, and I have been using them non-stop since then.  Like I said, they look like they would be uncomfortable, but you can hardly tell that you have them in. And the sound quality is great.  I find that I'm listening to my music and podcasts at a lower volume than I was when I was using the standard iPod earphones, or my Skull Candy buds.

I've worn them when running, and their claim is true - they won't fall out! With my other earbuds, it seems like I'm constantly having to push them back in, or at least putting my hand up to my ear to make sure that they aren't falling out, disrupting my rhythm, or they're hitting a pressure point, and are uncomfortable to wear.  These I can't tell that I have them in - except for the fact that I can clearly hear my music or podcasts.

The music clarity is another thing that is great about them.  Due to their design, the Yurbuds allow you to hear a good deal of ambient noise without sacrificing the quality of your music.  The guy I talked to at Outdoor Retailer said that they're great for cycling because you can still hear the cars on the road while listening to your music.  I can't - and won't - vouch for that claim since I am completely against cycling with earphones in.

They come in 6 different sizes.  If you are buying them in person, they will measure your ear with a credit-card sized piece of plastic with a hole in it, or if you are buying them online, you will need to send them a picture of your ear with either an iPod-style earphone in, or a quarter held below your earlobe.

photo from the Yurbuds site

Yurbuds start at $19.99 for the silicon earbuds that will work with your own set of iPod-style earphones and go up to $49.99 for the Ironman Performance version which includes an extra pair of earbuds and a carrying case along with some high-quality earphones. 

I love my set of Yurbuds.  They are easily the most comfortable earbuds that I have worn. 

For more information, go to http://www.yurbuds.com/

No comments: